Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Next Bend

"You need to get your passion back, guy."

That was the Monday morning remark of a co-worker of mine after telling her that I hadn't fished over the weekend. She seemed rather appalled. I laughed it off, but I knew she was right.

Post-funk brown from new water. Photo by Ben Pierce.
Perhaps I was suffering from a bit of post guide-season burnout. Maybe I was depressed about my best fishing buddy moving away. My new weekend-warrior status certainly wasn't helping things any. Whatever it was, my funk was short-lived, but real enough to have me thinking about what exactly I love so much about fly fishing.

A couple of recent solo outings were enjoyable, but they were a great reminder of just how much I enjoy the camaraderie of fellow anglers. Some of my best friendships have been forged on the water, so there's that.

The never-ending learning curve of fly fishing holds great appeal. The time spent communing and connecting with Ma Nature, in some of her most beautiful haunts is certainly a factor. But perhaps more than anything else, I'm realizing that my continued interest in fly fishing is rooted largely in exploration of new water.

There's a lot to explore out there.
I'll always enjoy fishing my home waters, whose curves are as familiar as those of a longtime lover. But it's the allure of the new and the unknown that truly calls to me. It's the desire to discover what is around the next bend, so to speak, that fuels my passion.









9 comments:

  1. New Water, evolution of a committed fly angler. At times even the looking is enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy - It's interesting to see the various evolutions that anglers go through... I notice it from time to time in many of my fishing buddies. Hope you're enjoying some fine fall fishing out your way.

      Delete
  2. We gotta go find another one of those browns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or two... my next couple of weekends are spoken for, but we should make it happen next month.

      Delete
  3. After 40 days of solo fishing this summer. I know exactly what you are saying Will...you start to question everything about what drives you to do what we do, in what sometimes feels like a dying sport. I finally have a few friends in Arkansas, which is nice, but it is now an adjustment to have company on the boat again. Sometimes the solo fishing brings out the best, just maybe not the most fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin - That's dedication to your craft! I'm not sure many angers would stick it out for 40 days solo...something to be said for that. Sometimes I think that living in Bozeman has warped my mindset about fly fishing... making me think that the sport - and the industry - is thriving. Keep after 'em.
      Will

      Delete
  4. I never stop learning. The more I learn the more I find out I have a lot to learn. Great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Joel, and thanks. It's the guys who think they know it all that I feel bad for.

      Delete